Friday, April 9, 2010

To write or not to write...

When I first set up an author blog, I wondered whether or not to mix my private life with my public life. I decided that sharing the mundane and boring aspects probably wasn't something I wanted to do, but if something important and relevant happened, I would share. Part of the whole purpose in writing for me is to share information through fiction that might help people. I've undergone some interesting challenges in my life, and if reading about those challenges, some of which are integrated into characters, helps my readers - even one - it is worth sharing. Yesterday's events are one of those challenges.



Last evening, I ended up going to Urgent Care for a breathing treatment. I have severe allergies and the greening of the trees and grass has just knocked me for a loop. I'm doing better, thank God, but I learned something last night I wasn't aware of, something that makes a lot of sense if you just step back and think about it.



After the doc had seen me, they had given me the breathing treatment, and I was ready to go, the doctor came back in to discuss what he was sending me home with. He mentioned to me that since I have rheumatoid arthritis, the fact that my allergies are in flare-up mode is probably related. I had NO idea! It makes perfect sense, though. For those of you who are not familiar with RA, it is an autoimmune disorder where the body basically attacks the joints. It is not osteoarthritis, which is 'wear and tear' arthritis. Completely different type of arthritis. Anyhow, the doc said that because my immune system is so strong, i.e., on overdrive, it isn't surprising that my allergies are so severe. He suggested that I might need to consider low-dose steroids, something like Flonase, to help keep the allergies in check. I certainly don't want to experience bronchitis again. He also suggested I seriously consider allergy shots, as they would possibly help build up a tolerance for my allergens.

In any event, I wanted to share what I had learned, and hopefully someone can benefit from that knowledge.

I also saw today that they are placing tornado/severe weather warning sirens about a mile down the road from my house. That's actually pretty exciting - those things save lives. I'm wondering if we will be able to hear it from our house. Given the way sound travels around here, I'm thinking we should.

Regards, all.

T.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment