Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Confronting Fears...

If someone were to ask me if I am superstitious, I would probably deny it. However...after further introspection, I would have to to change that answer to a tentative yes. An example - my husband and I are getting our house ready to go on the market. We've lived here just over two years, and I had joked when we moved in that I felt that I could create in this house. Hmmm... turned out the joke was on me. Although I had wanted to for many, many years, I hadn't been able to pull the fog away from my brain long enough to focus and write the book, but after moving into this house...I did it. There is a part of me that is seriously worried that if we leave this house, my creativity will vanish and I won't be able to write. I'm not sure what makes this house a creative conduit - or even if it is - but the thought that I may lose my wordiness scares me. We've postulated a theory that the high-tension power lines that run close to our house might be responsible. Hubby has told me that if that is the case and I lose my mojo, we'll just make a hat out of aluminum foil and wrap an extension cord around it...

Another superstition I've had for years is that I have to say a particular mantra to my hubby every day before he leaves to go to work. When I say years, I mean since before we were married, while we were still dating and I would tell him this mantra every night before leaving his house after our date. We had a rather intense courtship, where for the 5-6 months we were dating, he would either come to my house or I would go to his, every day. In any event, I got into the habit of making him promise to be careful, wear his seatbelt and watch out for crazies and idiots. I always make him go through that with me, every time he leaves to go to work.

I don't like walking beneath ladders, I try to avoid stepping on cracks when walking on sidewalks, and I never ignore a ringing phone. I may not answer when it rings, but I am incapable of not glancing at the caller i.d. to see who called.

I don't think I will really lose my creative juices when we move - I think my block had more to do with medical issues than anything. However, I'm not going to stop saying my mantra, or any of the other stuff. I will say this, though - I'm definitely not afraid of black cats. Our eldest cat child is a black cat named Squiddles. She can be scary, but not in a supernatural way.

No comments:

Post a Comment